Thursday, January 15, 2009

Formal Tour of Montpellier!





Here's our group getting ready to set out on an "official" tour of Montpellier - walking tour, of course - since we haven't done enough of that! Ha! The church is a Catholic Church - St. Etienne or St. Pierre (I can't remember - there were SO many). I think our French guide told us it was from the 1200's or 1300's. He only spoke to us in French - so I grabbed at any word I could understand - ugh - my head! Anyway - it was unbelievably massive!! It took some direct cannon hits from the Protestants who were fighting the Catholics. We went inside - it was enormous - and FREEZING! Why would anyone want to go to church if they have to freeze????






The sculptor killed himself after completing this sculpture because he forgot the stirrups! Isn't that a bit drastic??










Ancient aquaducts! How in the world????











Do you love how the tour guide's mouth looks like he's saying "Heh heh heh" with that french accent???? Cracks me up!

1 comment: